Re: [RFC] split struct kiocb

Hi,

On Mon, Feb 23, 2015 at 09:42:13PM +0000, Al Viro wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 23, 2015 at 03:23:43PM -0600, Felipe Balbi wrote:
> > > FWIW, I would really like to hear from USB folks concerning those patches
> > > (gadgetfs ones, that is).  I don't have any way to test them beyond "does
> > > it compile" - no hardware that could run Linux and act as USB slave and
> > > no idea if there are any sane emulator setups (e.g. qemu doesn't seem to
> > > emulate anything drivers/usb/gadget/udc/* stuff would understand).
> > >
> > > I'm not happy about the idea of having it merged into vfs.git#for-next
> > > with zero testing and no comments from the people actually using the
> > > drivers in question, _especially_ if it becomes a never-rebase branch
> > > used as prereq for other development.
> > >
> > > Now that the merge window is closed, could USB folks review and comment
> > > on the stuff in
> > > git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/viro/vfs.git gadget
> > > ?
> > >
> > > PS: I would prefer to rebase #iov_iter and #gadget to -rc1, actually...
> >
> > give me a couple days, quite busy myself ;-)
>
> Sure, no problem...  BTW, how does one normally test in that area?  IOW,
> which emulators and/or real hardware that could be found on e.g. ebay can
> handle the current kernels?

well, you can use dummy_hcd, for example. It's completely done in SW.

If you want HW, there are quite a few you can use: beaglebone black is
cheap (but MUSB is a terrible controller), OMAP5 uEVM ain't that cheap,
but a better controller, BeagleBoard X15 is also good, but not that
cheap either. There's also gumstix overo which is the same controller as
Beaglebone Black.

AM437x SK (which is not yet available for purchase unfortunately), has
a good USB controller, works just fine with mainline (since 3.17) and
it's one of the boards I use daily. Unfortunately, not yet released for
public consumption :-(

There are other boards like raspberry pi (*real* cheap), or minnowboard
but I don't have those and I can't really say whether they "Just
Work(TM)" with upstream.

cheers

--
balbi