Re: [1/8] readdir-plus system call - LSF/MM follow up

On 2013-05-28, at 8:49 AM, Abhijith Das wrote:
> Zack, thanks for taking a peek at the patches.

It wasn't clear to me which version of the xstat patches you were
basing your work on?  Are these the latest ones from David, or ones
from a mailing list thread?  I've CC'd David, since he might have
newer (and hopefully minimally contentious?) versions of the patches.

>> Some quick things that struck me as I glanced through the patches:
>>
>> - Please post the patch series, don't make us go digging through
>>  bugzilla.
>
> Duly noted. I wasn't hoping for my patches to be a serious submission, just something I wrote up as a POC. I was mainly looking to (re)start a conversation about readdirplus to see what's the best way to go about doing this. Your point applies nonetheless; I'll post my patchset again, properly.

It definitely makes sense to start with just the xstat patch, since
if we can't get that agreed upon and landed, there is no hope for
readdirplus to get consensus.

Could you or David submit the latest xstat patch to the list?

Cheers, Andreas

>> - Don't use variable size types in the ABI or you'll have to add compat_
>>  wrappers to fix it all up on the stack when going between 32bit
>>  userspace and 64bit kernelspace.  This is going to be especially nasty
>>  if this is a giant sequence of variable length blobs.
>>
>>  +struct linux_xdirent {
>>  +	unsigned long        xd_ino;
>>  +	char                 xd_type;
>>  +	unsigned long        xd_off;
>>  +	struct xstat         xd_stat;
>>  +	unsigned long        xd_reclen;
>>  +	struct xdirent_blob  xd_blob;
>>  +};
>>
>>  Notice how, in contrast, David was careful to use naturally aligned
>>  fixed-width types in his xstat patch.
>>

> Yes, you're right. I'll fix this.
>
>> - z
>
> Cheers!