Re: Re: [1/8] readdir-plus system call - LSF/MM follow up

On Tuesday, May 28, 2013 10:49:31 Abhijith Das wrote:
> Zack, thanks for taking a peek at the patches.
>
> > Some quick things that struck me as I glanced through the patches:
> >
> > - Please post the patch series, don't make us go digging through
> >
> >   bugzilla.
>
> Duly noted. I wasn't hoping for my patches to be a serious submission, just
> something I wrote up as a POC. I was mainly looking to (re)start a
> conversation about readdirplus to see what's the best way to go about doing
> this. Your point applies nonetheless; I'll post my patchset again,
> properly.

Speaking for the nfs-ganesha project, one of the issues that we couldn't sort
out at lsf was whether to to include xattrs.  As far as ganesha is concerned,
the xstat struct is sufficient.  At readdir time, we pretty much just want to
build our cache entries and get basic stat info.  The only case where we'd
really need xattrs would be for acls but that is usually later in the protocol
op sequence.  I'd just like to get the path from readdir+ thru the callbacks
to the xdr into the reply as simple as possible.  That and get enough in the
cache entry to be ready for the next step.

--
Jim Lieb
Linux Systems Engineer