Re: [LSF/MM TOPIC] [ATTEND] Creation of a readdirplus-like system call

Hello Steven,

On 01/23/2013 10:43 AM, Steven Whitehouse wrote:
Hi,

As part of the work we've been doing in relation to integration between
NFS/Samba and GFS2, Abhi has been working on a readdirplus system call
in order to investigate the issues involved with creating such a call.
It is still early days yet, but by April there should be some
interesting results to present.

I think having such a call would be good for other cluster file systems as well, e.g. Lustre and FhGFS.

Please add Abhi to the attendee list as well as myself.

Also, it has been some time since we had a NFS/Samba meeting to discuss
the other issues which are pending, such as locking, ACLs, etc. So we
could perhaps also allow some time to do that face to face rather than
over the phone as we've been doing up til now,

Among others, locking is another issue for cluster file systems. For example Lustre and FhGFS currently disable cluster wide locks by default and add a configuration parameter for cluster wide locks. The reason is simply that one mostly only needs local locks and that cluster wide locks involve network messages and are therefore rather expensive. Are you doing any work into that direction?

I definitely need to create a list, but I think several other system calls could be optimized for cluster file systems.

Thanks,
Bernd