Re: Inode metadata and file data syncing

On 2012-07-19, at 9:49, Zach Brown <zab@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 19, 2012 at 09:50:59AM -0400, faibish_sorin@xxxxxxx wrote:
>> I am simply curious what all the current file systems features we lack
>> today as maybe others can contribute. Hope this makes sense
>
> It doesn't take much effort to imagine features which are tied to
> hardware that is still under wraps and which make current designs look
> completely silly.  I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Sure, I totally agree. I just wanted to head off any efforts that are just duplicating btrfs or cachefs or whatever for very little total benefit.

It's also worthwhile to ask that question early on, before there is a large vested interest in the new filesystem, rather than months/years later when the time and effort is already sunk into the other project and not some existing project.

> I'm happy that they're engaging with fsdevel early, even if its clumsy
> because they can't really talk about details.  I think it's worth
> spending a small amount of time to help them understand the (very
> confusing!) fs paths.  It has a decent chance of reducing the number of
> problems in the code we'll no doubt see some day and have to review.

Agreed.

Cheers, Andreas--