Re: graceful handling of removing a plugable storage device that is being written to

--- On Sun, 11/9/11, Martin Steigerwald <Martin@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Cc to BTRFS mailinglist as it
> triggered the idea of mine again.
>

> Hi!
>
> Today I did it again and removed a BTRFS partition that is
> written too.
> That BTRFS as of Kernel 3.0.3 (debian package) does not
> like very much. I
> think thats a known issue and I wrote a mail to BTRFS
> mailing list about
> it.
>
> In there I wrote:
>
> > Expected results:
> >
> > BTRFS fails gracefully except the loss of data from
> writes in flight, the
> > machine remains usable and BTRFS can be mounted
> again.
>
> And then cause the expected results IMHO are by no way the
> ideal results:
>

> > Ideal results (IMHO):
> >
> > Linux behaved like AmigaOS and told me that I *must*
> insert the device
> > again and *continues* writing after I did this.
>
> But I never saw any other OS that did that.
>
> And I see the problems with high bandwidth writes piling up
> in memory
> causing severe memory pressure.
>
> But then could Linux just freeze processes that continue
> writing to the
> drive until it is replugged again? Of course that
> shouldn´t happen to the
> drive / resides on.
>
> And there is a userspace part in it - the possibly udev and
> dbus  driven
> notification to the user.

How do you cope with
(1) headless systems (one where there is no udev/dbus notification or display).
(2) the user walking off in a hurry and never seeing the notification?
Should the kernel/user processes freeze indefinitely?

There is also a 3rd scenario - how how one malicious person or process doing a repeat insert/remove/write and get resource to pile up and crash the machine?

It is probably possible/recommended with Amiga because Amiga is seldomly run headless?