hfsplus journalling Re: hfsplus standalone package rfc and comments/questions

Slight re-org and update, see below.

--- On Fri, 12/8/11, Hin-Tak Leung <hintak_leung@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I have finally got round to check Naohiro's hfsplus
> journalling work
> (git://github.com/naota/hfsplus.git). The result, in a
> nutshell, is a tar ball:
>
> http://htl10.users.sourceforge.net/patchsets/hfsplus_3.0_rfc/hfsplus_standalone.tar.gz

The tarballs are now named with dates - renamed the old one 20110812 and the new one hfsplus_standalone_20110815.tar.gz . Found mistakes in Naohiro's work & more details below.

> which you can do
>     make -C
> /lib/modules/<kernel_version>/build/ M=`pwd`
> against your system's approx 3.0 bits to build a
> journal-enabled hfsplus kernel module to replace the one you
> had. *CAVEATE BELOW*. The 22 patches is in a sub-dir inside
> the tar-ball, as well as in http://htl10.users.sourceforge.net/patchsets/hfsplus_3.0_rfc/
>
> #1, #2 was just Naohiro's work as he did it (and as on his
> github area) rebased slightly from 3.0rcX to 3.0 proper. I
> found that it did not build with journalling enabled,
> actually, so, patch #3-#22 are what I added on top. #14,
> #20, #22 are modifications/READMEs to make the tarball built
> out-of-tree (and not needed for other purpose), #17 is a a
> new fix for a small formatting issue. The rest (16 of them)
> are adjustments for about 8 API changes between 2.6.15 and
> 2.6.40/3.0.x .
>
> - I am not sure my buffer_head related patches (#4, #18.
> #21) are correct. I think #4 is, but #18 and #21 are
> probably wrong and/or need to do something else.
> Suggestions? (possibly from Christoph Hellwig).

Added patch #23 - the range check bug fix patch from Naohiro a while ago; patch #24 corrects Naohiro's work in #2, and #25 improves the area around which #24 modifies.

In a nutshell, patch #2 from Naohiro + patch #24 + two other stylistic/indentation patches in 'patches-not-applied' gives the same git numstat as the original Netgear patch against 2.6.15, except for other white space changes.

i.e. Naohiro's work misses a couple of chunks, and added a couple of stylistic changes (and did not document them) and changed plenty of white spaces.

Now that we get the work sort of reviewed and checked in a basic sense, we need a strategy for testing, etc. I am thinking of formatting a small thumb drive as hfsplus with journals and try to unpack and build a new kernel on it - that should be stressful enough.