Re: [RFC] Add a new file op for fsync to give fs's more control

On 04/16/2011 03:32 AM, Josef Bacik wrote:
> On 04/15/2011 03:24 PM, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
>> Sorry, but this is too ugly to live.  If the reason for this really is
>> good enough we'll just need to push the filemap_write_and_wait_range
>> and i_mutex locking into every ->fsync instance.
>>

> So part of what makes small fsyncs slow in btrfs is all of our random
> threads to make checksumming not suck.  So we submit IO which spreads it
> out to helper threads to do the checksumming, and then when it returns
> it gets handed off to endio threads that run the endio stuff.  This
> works awesome with doing big writes and such, but if say we're and RPM
> database and write a couple of kilbytes, this tends to suck because we
> keep handing work off to other threads and waiting, so the scheduling
> latencies really hurt.
>
> So we'd like to be able to say "hey this is a small amount of io, lets
> just do the checksumming in the current thread", and the same with
> handling the endio stuff.  We can't do that currently because
> filemap_write_and_wait_range is called before we get to fsync.  We'd
> like to be able to control this so we can do the appropriate magic to do
> the submission within the fsyncings thread context in order to speed
> things up a bit.
>
> That plus the stuff I said about i_mutex.  Is that a good enough reason
> to just push this down into all the filesystems?  Thanks,

Fine with the i_mutex.

I'm wandering that is it worth of doing so?

I've tested your patch with sysbench, and there is little improvement. :(

Sysbench args:
sysbench --test=fileio --num-threads=1 --file-num=10240 --file-block-size=1K --file-total-size=20M --file-test-mode=rndwr --file-io-mode=sync --file-extra-flags=  run

10240 files, 2Kb each
===
fsync_nolock (patch):
Operations performed:  0 Read, 10000 Write, 1024000 Other = 1034000 Total
Read 0b  Written 9.7656Mb  Total transferred 9.7656Mb  (35.152Kb/sec)
   35.15 Requests/sec executed

fsync (orig):
Operations performed:  0 Read, 10000 Write, 1024000 Other = 1034000 Total
Read 0b  Written 9.7656Mb  Total transferred 9.7656Mb  (35.287Kb/sec)
   35.29 Requests/sec executed
===

Seems that the improvement of avoiding threads interchange is not enough.

BTW, I'm trying to improve the fsync performance stuff, but mainly for large files(>4G).
And I found that a large file will have a tremendous amount of csum items needed to
be flush into tree log during fsync().  Btrfs now uses a brute force approach to
ensure to get the most uptodate copies of everything, and this results in a bad
performance.  To change the brute way is bugging me a lot...

thanks,
liubo