Re: [RFC] Add a new file op for fsync to give fs's more control

On 04/15/2011 03:24 PM, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
Sorry, but this is too ugly to live.  If the reason for this really is
good enough we'll just need to push the filemap_write_and_wait_range
and i_mutex locking into every ->fsync instance.

So part of what makes small fsyncs slow in btrfs is all of our random threads to make checksumming not suck. So we submit IO which spreads it out to helper threads to do the checksumming, and then when it returns it gets handed off to endio threads that run the endio stuff. This works awesome with doing big writes and such, but if say we're and RPM database and write a couple of kilbytes, this tends to suck because we keep handing work off to other threads and waiting, so the scheduling latencies really hurt.

So we'd like to be able to say "hey this is a small amount of io, lets just do the checksumming in the current thread", and the same with handling the endio stuff. We can't do that currently because filemap_write_and_wait_range is called before we get to fsync. We'd like to be able to control this so we can do the appropriate magic to do the submission within the fsyncings thread context in order to speed things up a bit.

That plus the stuff I said about i_mutex. Is that a good enough reason to just push this down into all the filesystems? Thanks,

Josef