Re: [Lsf] IO less throttling and cgroup aware writeback

On Fri, 8 Apr 2011 11:25:56 +1000
Dave Chinner <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 07, 2011 at 05:59:35PM -0700, Greg Thelen wrote:
> > cc: linux-mm
> >
> > Dave Chinner <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> > If we later find that this supposed uncommon shared inode case is
> > important then we can either implement the previously described lru
> > scanning in mem_cgroup_balance_dirty_pages() or consider extending the
> > bdi/memcg/inode data structures (perhaps with a memcg_mapping) to
> > describe such sharing.
>
> Hmm, another idea I just had. What we're trying to avoid is needing
> to a) track inodes in multiple lists, and b) scanning to find
> something appropriate to write back.
>
> Rather than tracking at page or inode granularity, how about
> tracking "associated" memcgs at the memcg level? i.e. when we detect
> an inode is already dirty in another memcg, link the current memcg
> to the one that contains the inode. Hence if we get a situation
> where a memcg is throttling with no dirty inodes, it can quickly
> find and start writeback in an "associated" memcg that it _knows_
> contain shared dirty inodes. Once we've triggered writeback on an
> associated memcg, it is removed from the list....

Thank you for an idea. I think we can start from following.

 0. add some feature to set 'preferred inode' for memcg.
    I think
      fadvise(fd, MAKE_THIF_FILE_UNDER_MY_MEMCG)
    or
      echo fd > /memory.move_file_here
    can be added.

 1. account dirty pages for a memcg. as Greg does.
 2. at the same time, account dirty pages made dirty by threads in a memcg.
    (to check which internal/external thread made page dirty.)
 3. calculate internal/external dirty pages gap.

 With gap, we can have several choices.

 4-a. If it exceeds some thresh, do some notify.
      userland daemon can decide to move pages to some memcg or not.
      (Of coruse, if the _shared_ dirty can be caught before making page dirty,
       user daemon can move inode before making it dirty by inotify().)

      I like helps of userland because it can be more flexible than kernel,
      it can eat config files.

 4-b. set some flag to memcg as 'this memcg is dirty busy because of some extarnal
      threads'. When a page is newly dirtied, check the thread's memcg.
      If the memcg of a thread and a page is different from each other,
      write a memo as 'please check this memcgid , too' in task_struct and
      do double-memcg-check in balance_dirty_pages().
      (How to clear per-task flag is difficult ;)

      I don't want to handle 3-100 threads does shared write case..;)
      we'll need 4-a.

Thanks,
-Kame