Re: [Lsf] Preliminary Agenda and Activities for LSF

On 03/29/2011 12:36 AM, James Bottomley wrote:
Hi All,

Since LSF is less than a week away, the programme committee put together
a just in time preliminary agenda for LSF.  As you can see there is
still plenty of empty space, which you can make suggestions (to this
list with appropriate general list cc's) for filling:

https://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?hl=en&hl=en&key=0AiQMl7GcVa7OdFdNQzM5UDRXUnVEbHlYVmZUVHQ2amc&output=html

If you don't make suggestions, the programme committee will feel
empowered to make arbitrary assignments based on your topic and attendee
email requests ...

We're still not quite sure what rooms we will have at the Kabuki, but
we'll add them to the spreadsheet when we know (they should be close to
each other).

The spreadsheet above also gives contact information for all the
attendees and the programme committee.

Yours,

James Bottomley
on behalf of LSF/MM Programme Committee

Here are a few topic ideas:

(1) The first topic that might span IO & FS tracks (or just pull in device mapper people to an FS track) could be adding new commands that would allow users to grow/shrink/etc file systems in a generic way. The thought I had was that we have a reasonable model that we could reuse for these new commands like mount and mount.fs or fsck and fsck.fs. With btrfs coming down the road, it could be nice to identify exactly what common operations users want to do and agree on how to implement them. Alasdair pointed out in the upstream thread that we had a prototype here in fsadm.

(2) Very high speed, low latency SSD devices and testing. Have we settled on the need for these devices to all have block level drivers? For S-ATA or SAS devices, are there known performance issues that require enhancements in somewhere in the stack?

(3) The union mount versus overlayfs debate - pros and cons. What each do well, what needs doing. Do we want/need both upstream? (Maybe this can get 10 minutes in Al's VFS session?)

Thanks!

Ric