Re: What to do about subvolumes?

On Wed, Dec 1, 2010 at 12:48 PM, C Anthony Risinger <anthony@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 1, 2010 at 12:36 PM, Josef Bacik <josef@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> On Wed, Dec 01, 2010 at 07:33:39PM +0100, Goffredo Baroncelli wrote:
>>
>>> Another point that I want like to discuss is how manage the "pivoting" between
>>> the subvolumes. One of the most beautiful feature of btrfs is the snapshot
>>> capability. In fact it is possible to make a snapshot of the root of the
>>> filesystem and to mount it in a subsequent reboot.
>>> But is very complicated to manage the pivoting of a snapshot of a root
>>> filesystem, because I cannot delete the "old root" due to the fact that the
>>> "new root" is placed in the "old root".
>>>
>>> A possible solution is not to put the root of the filesystem (where are placed
>>> /usr, /etc....) in the root of the btrfs filesystem; but it should be accepted
>>> from the beginning the idea that the root of a filesystem should be placed in
>>> a subvolume which int turn is placed in the root of a btrfs filesystem...
>>>
>>> I am open to other opinions.
>>>

>> Agreed, one of the things that Chris and I have discussed is the possiblity of
>> just having dangling roots, since really the directories are just an easy way to
>> get to the subvolumes.  This would let you delete the original volume and use
>> the snapshot from then on out.  Something to do in the future for sure.
>
> i would really like to see a solution to this particular issue.  i may
> be missing something, but the dangling subvol roots doesn't seem to
> address the management of the root volume itself.
>
> for example... most people will install their whole system into the
> real root (id=5), but this renders the system unmanageable, because
> there is no way to ever empty it without manually issuing an `rm -rf`.
>
> i'm having a really hard time controlling this with the initramfs hook
> i provide for archlinux users.  the hook requires a specific structure
> "underneath" what the user perceives as /, but i can only accomplish
> this for new installs -- for existing installs i can setup the proper
> "subroot" structure, and snapshot their current root... but i cannot
> remove the stagnant files in the real root (id=5) that well never,
> ever be accessed again.
>
> ... or does dangling roots address this?

i forgot to mention, but a quick 'n dirty solution would be to simply
not enable users to do this by accident.  mkfs.btrfs could create a
new subvol, then mark it as default... this way the user has to
manually mount with id=0, or remark 0 as the default.

effectively, users would be unknowingly be installing into a
subvolume, rather then the top-level root (apologies if my terminology
is incorrect).

C Anthony