What to do about subvolumes?

Hello,

Various people have complained about how BTRFS deals with subvolumes recently,
specifically the fact that they all have the same inode number, and there's no
discrete seperation from one subvolume to another.  Christoph asked that I lay
out a basic design document of how we want subvolumes to work so we can hash
everything out now, fix what is broken, and then move forward with a design that
everybody is more or less happy with.  I apologize in advance for how freaking
long this email is going to be.  I assume that most people are generally
familiar with how BTRFS works, so I'm not going to bother explaining in great
detail some stuff.

=== What are subvolumes? ===

They are just another tree.  In BTRFS we have various b-trees to describe the
filesystem.  A few of them are filesystem wide, such as the extent tree, chunk
tree, root tree etc.  The tree's that hold the actual filesystem data, that is
inodes and such, are kept in their own b-tree.  This is how subvolumes and
snapshots appear on disk, they are simply new b-trees with all of the file data
contained within them.

=== What do subvolumes look like? ===

All the user sees are directories.  They act like any other directory acts, with
a few exceptions

1) You cannot hardlink between subvolumes.  This is because subvolumes have
their own inode numbers and such, think of them as seperate mounts in this case,
you cannot hardlink between two mounts because the link needs to point to the
same on disk inode, which is impossible between two different filesystems.  The
same is true for subvolumes, they have their own trees with their own inodes and
inode numbers, so it's impossible to hardlink between them.

1a) In case it wasn't clear from above, each subvolume has their own inode
numbers, so you can have the same inode numbers used between two different
subvolumes, since they are two different trees.

2) Obviously you can't just rm -rf subvolumes.  Because they are roots there's
extra metadata to keep track of them, so you have to use one of our ioctls to
delete subvolumes/snapshots.

But permissions and everything else they are the same.

There is one tricky thing.  When you create a subvolume, the directory inode
that is created in the parent subvolume has the inode number of 256.  So if you
have a bunch of subvolumes in the same parent subvolume, you are going to have a
bunch of directories with the inode number of 256.  This is so when users cd
into a subvolume we can know its a subvolume and do all the normal voodoo to
start looking in the subvolumes tree instead of the parent subvolumes tree.

This is where things go a bit sideways.  We had serious problems with NFS, but
thankfully NFS gives us a bunch of hooks to get around these problems.
CIFS/Samba do not, so we will have problems there, not to mention any other
userspace application that looks at inode numbers.

=== How do we want subvolumes to work from a user perspective? ===

1) Users need to be able to create their own subvolumes.  The permission
semantics will be absolutely the same as creating directories, so I don't think
this is too tricky.  We want this because you can only take snapshots of
subvolumes, and so it is important that users be able to create their own
discrete snapshottable targets.

2) Users need to be able to snapshot their subvolumes.  This is basically the
same as #1, but it bears repeating.

3) Subvolumes shouldn't need to be specifically mounted.  This is also
important, we don't want users to have to go around mounting their subvolumes up
manually one-by-one.  Today users just cd into subvolumes and it works, just
like cd'ing into a directory.

=== Quotas ===

This is a huge topic in and of itself, but Christoph mentioned wanting to have
an idea of what we wanted to do with it, so I'm putting it here.  There are
really 2 things here

1) Limiting the size of subvolumes.  This is really easy for us, just create a
subvolume and at creation time set a maximum size it can grow to and not let it
go farther than that.  Nice, simple and straightforward.

2) Normal quotas, via the quota tools.  This just comes down to how do we want
to charge users, do we want to do it per subvolume, or per filesystem.  My vote
is per filesystem.  Obviously this will make it tricky with snapshots, but I
think if we're just charging the diff's between the original volume and the
snapshot to the user then that will be the easiest for people to understand,
rather than making a snapshot all of a sudden count the users currently used
quota * 2.

=== What do we do? ===

This is where I expect to see the most discussion.  Here is what I want to do

1) Scrap the 256 inode number thing.  Instead we'll just put a flag in the inode
to say "Hey, I'm a subvolume" and then we can do all of the appropriate magic
that way.  This unfortunately will be an incompatible format change, but the
sooner we get this adressed the easier it will be in the long run.  Obviously
when I say format change I mean via the incompat bits we have, so old fs's won't
be broken and such.

2) Do something like NFS's referral mounts when we cd into a subvolume.  Now we
just do dentry trickery, but that doesn't make the boundary between subvolumes
clear, so it will confuse people (and samba) when they walk into a subvolume and
all of a sudden the inode numbers are the same as in the directory behind them.
With doing the referral mount thing, each subvolume appears to be its own mount
and that way things like NFS and samba will work properly.

I feel like I'm forgetting something here, hopefully somebody will point it out.

=== Conclusion ===

There are definitely some wonky things with subvolumes, but I don't think they
are things that cannot be fixed now.  Some of these changes will require
incompat format changes, but it's either we fix it now, or later on down the
road when BTRFS starts getting used in production really find out how many
things our current scheme breaks and then have to do the changes then.  Thanks,

Josef