Re: Results of my VFS scaling evaluation.

On Fri, 2010-10-08 at 20:38 -0400, Valerie Aurora wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 08, 2010 at 04:32:19PM -0700, Frank Mayhar wrote:
> >
> > Before going into details of the test results, however, I must say that
> > the most striking thing about Nick's work how stable it is.  In all of
>
> :D
>
> > the work I've been doing, all the kernels I've built and run and all the
> > tests I've run, I've run into no hangs and only one crash, that in an
> > area that we happen to stress very heavily, for which I posted a patch,
> > available at
> >  http://www.kerneltrap.org/mailarchive/linux-fsdevel/2010/9/27/6886943
> > The crash involved the fact that we use cgroups very heavily, and there
> > was an oversight in the new d_set_d_op() routine that failed to clear
> > flags before it set them.
>
> I honestly can't stand the d_set_d_op() patch (testing flags instead
> of d_op->op) because it obfuscates the code in such a way that leads
> directly to this kind of bug.  I don't suppose you could test the
> performance effect of that specific patch and see how big of a
> difference it makes?

I do kind of understand why he did it but you're right that it makes
things a bit error-prone.  Unfortunately I'm not in a position at the
moment to do a lot more testing and analysis.  I'll try to find some
spare time in which to do some more testing of both this and Dave
Chinner's tree, but no promises.
--
Frank Mayhar <fmayhar@xxxxxxxxxx>
Google Inc.