Re: Results of my VFS scaling evaluation.

On Fri, Oct 08, 2010 at 04:32:19PM -0700, Frank Mayhar wrote:

> Before going into details of the test results, however, I must say that
> the most striking thing about Nick's work how stable it is.  In all of

:D

> the work I've been doing, all the kernels I've built and run and all the
> tests I've run, I've run into no hangs and only one crash, that in an
> area that we happen to stress very heavily, for which I posted a patch,
> available at
>  http://www.kerneltrap.org/mailarchive/linux-fsdevel/2010/9/27/6886943
> The crash involved the fact that we use cgroups very heavily, and there
> was an oversight in the new d_set_d_op() routine that failed to clear
> flags before it set them.

I honestly can't stand the d_set_d_op() patch (testing flags instead
of d_op->op) because it obfuscates the code in such a way that leads
directly to this kind of bug.  I don't suppose you could test the
performance effect of that specific patch and see how big of a
difference it makes?

-VAL