Re: [LSF/MM/BPF TOPIC] finishing up mount API conversions; consistency & logging

On Mon, Apr 15, 2024 at 6:59 PM Eric Sandeen <sandeen@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> In case this is of interest to anyone I'll propose it.
>
> The "new" mount API was merged about 5 years ago, but not all filesystems
> were converted, so we still have the legacy helpers in place. There has been
> a slow trickle of conversions, with a renewed interest in completing this
> task.
>
> The remaining conversions are of varying complexity (bcachefs might
> be "fun!") but other questions remain around how userspace expects to use
> the informational messages the API provides, what types of messages those
> should be, and whether those messages should also go to the kernel dmesg.
> Last I checked, userspace is not yet doing anything with those messages,
> so any inconsistencies probably aren't yet apparent.
>
> There's also the remaining task of getting the man pages completed.
>
> There were also some recent questions and suggestions about how to handle
> unknown mount options, see Miklos' FSOPEN_REJECT_UNKNOWN suggestion. [1]
>
> I'm not sure if this warrants a full session, as it's actually quite
> an old topic. If nothing else, a BOF for those interested might be
> worthwhile.

Christian,

I scheduled a slot for your talk on "Mount API extensions" on Tue 11:30
before Eric's Mount API conversions session.

Do you think this is the right order or do you prefer these sessions
to be swapped?

Also, this seems like a large topic, so I could try to clear more than
30min in the
schedule for it if you like. the buffer_heads session after your talks
will probably
be removed from there anyway.

I was thinking that we need a followup session for statmount/listmount [1]
What's still missing (mount change notifications, fsinfo) and what are
the next steps.
Are you planning to address those in your session?

Thanks,
Amir.

[1] https://lore.kernel.org/linux-fsdevel/20240105-vfs-mount-5e94596bd1d1@brauner/