Re: [WIP 0/3] Memory model and atomic API in Rust

On Tue, Mar 26, 2024 at 12:05:48AM +0000, Dr. David Alan Gilbert wrote:
> * Linus Torvalds (torvalds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
> > IOW, the whole access size problem that Boqun described is
> > *inherently* tied to the fact that the C++ and Rust memory model is
> > badly designed from the wrong principles.
> >
> > Instead of designing it as a "this is an atomic object that you can do
> > these operations on", it should have been "this is an atomic access,
> > and you can use this simple object model to have the compiler generate
> > the accesses for you".
>
> Isn't one of the aims of the Rust/C++ idea that you can't forget to access
> a shared piece of data atomically?
>
> If you want to have 'atomic accesses' explicitly, how do you tell the compiler
> what you can use them on, and when it should stop you mixing them with
> normal accesses on the same object?

"can't forget to access data atomically" - that's only half of it. And
atomic accesses loads/stores are not a thing under the hood, they're
just loads and stores (possibly, but not necessarily, with memory
barriers).

The other half is at the _source_ level you don't want to treat accesses
to volatiles/atomics like accesses to normal variables, you really want
those to be explicit, and not look like normal variable accesses.

std:atomic_int is way better than volatile in the sense that it's not a
barely specified mess, but adding operator overloading was just
gratuitious and unnecessary.

This is a theme with C++ - they add a _ton_ of magic to make things
concise and pretty, but you have to understand in intimate detail what
all that magic is doing or you're totally fucked.

std::atomic_int makes it such that just changing a single line of code
in a single location in your program will change the semantics of your
_entire_ program and the only obserable result will be that it's faster
but a ticking time bomb because you just introduced a ton of races.

With Rust - I honestly haven't looked at whether they added operator
overlaoding for their atomics, but it's _much_ less of a concern because
changing the type to the non-atomic version means your program won't
compile if it's now racy.