Re: [WIP 0/3] Memory model and atomic API in Rust

On Fri, Mar 22, 2024 at 05:36:00PM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On Fri, 22 Mar 2024 at 17:21, Kent Overstreet <kent.overstreet@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > Besides that there's cross arch support to think about - it's hard to
> > imagine us ever ditching our own atomics.
>
> Well, that's one of the advantages of using compiler builtins -
> projects that do want cross-architecture support, but that aren't
> actually maintaining their _own_ architecture support.
>
> So I very much see the lure of compiler support for that kind of
> situation - to write portable code without having to know or care
> about architecture details.
>
> This is one reason I think the kernel is kind of odd and special -
> because in the kernel, we obviously very fundamentally have to care
> about the architecture details _anyway_, so then having the
> architecture also define things like atomics is just a pretty small
> (and relatively straightforward) detail.
>
> The same argument goes for compiler builtins vs inline asm. In the
> kernel, we have to have people who are intimately familiar with the
> architecture _anyway_, so inline asms and architecture-specific header
> files aren't some big pain-point: they'd be needed _anyway_.
>
> But in some random user level program, where all you want is an
> efficient way to do "find first bit"? Then using a compiler intrinsic
> makes a lot more sense.

We've got a whole spectrum of kernel code though, and a lot of it is
code that - honestly, we'd be better off if it wasn't specific to the
kernel.

rhashtable comes to mind; it's a fully generic, excellent at what it
does, but it's had a number of annoyingly subtle bugs and sharp edges
over the years that are really just a result of it not having enough
users.

So I see some real value in regularizing things.

> > I was thinking about something more incremental - just an optional mode
> > where our atomics were C atomics underneath. It'd probably give the
> > compiler people a much more effective way to test their stuff than
> > anything they have now.
>
> I suspect it might be painful, and some compiler people would throw
> their hands up in horror, because the C++ atomics model is based
> fairly solidly on atomic types, and the kernel memory model is much
> more fluid.
>
> Boqun already mentioned the "mixing access sizes", which is actually
> quite fundamental in the kernel, where we play lots of games with that
> (typically around locking, where you find patterns line unlock writing
> a zero to a single byte, even though the whole lock data structure is
> a word). And sometimes the access size games are very explicit (eg
> lib/lockref.c).

I don't think mixing access sizes should be a real barrier. On the read
side we can obviously do that with a helper; the write side needs
compiler help, but "writing just a byte out of a word" is no different
from a compiler POV that "write a single bit", and we can already mix
atomic_or() with atomic_add(), with both C atomics and LKMM atomics.

> But it actually goes deeper than that. While we do have "atomic_t" etc
> for arithmetic atomics, and that probably would map fairly well to C++
> atomics, in other cases we simply base our atomics not on _types_, but
> on code.
>
> IOW, we do things like "cmpxchg()", and the target of that atomic
> access is just a regular data structure field.

Well, some of that's historical cruft; cmpxchg() and atomic_cmpxchg()
have different orderings, and we can specify that more directly now.

But we definitely need the ability to cmpxchg() any struct of a size the
machine supports atomic access to. Rust should be able to manage that
more easily than C/C++ though - they've got a type system that can
sanely represent that.