Re: [Lsf-pc] [LSF/MM/BPF TOPIC] Reclamation interactions with RCU

On Sat, 02 Mar 2024, Kent Overstreet wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 02, 2024 at 10:47:59AM +1100, NeilBrown wrote:

> > > I'm not saying we should get rid of __GFP_NOFAIL - actually, I'd say
> > > let's remove the underscores and get rid of the silly two page limit.
> > > GFP_NOFAIL|GFP_KERNEL is perfectly safe for larger allocations, as long
> > > as you don't mind possibly waiting a bit.
> > >
> > > But it can't be the default because, like I mentioned to Neal, there are
> > > a _lot_ of different places where we allocate memory in the kernel, and
> > > they have to be able to fail instead of shoving everything else out of
> > > memory.

> > > We definitely don't want to make GFP_NOIO/GFP_NOFS allocations nofail by
> > > default - a great many of those allocations have mempools in front of
> > > them to avoid deadlocks, and if you do that you've made the mempools
> > > useless.
> > >

> > Not strictly true.  mempool_alloc() adds __GFP_NORETRY so the allocation
> > will certainly fail if that is appropriate.
>
> *nod*
>
> > I suspect that most places where there is a non-error fallback already
> > use NORETRY or RETRY_MAYFAIL or similar.
>
> NORETRY and RETRY_MAYFAIL actually weren't on my radar, and I don't see
> _tons_ of uses for either of them - more for NORETRY.
>
> My go-to is NOWAIT in this scenario though; my common pattern is "try
> nonblocking with locks held, then drop locks and retry GFP_KERNEL".
>
> > But I agree that changing the meaning of GFP_KERNEL has a potential to
> > cause problems.  I support promoting "GFP_NOFAIL" which should work at
> > least up to PAGE_ALLOC_COSTLY_ORDER (8 pages).
>
> I'd support this change.
>
> > I'm unsure how it should be have in PF_MEMALLOC_NOFS and
> > PF_MEMALLOC_NOIO context.  I suspect Dave would tell me it should work in
> > these contexts, in which case I'm sure it should.
> >
> > Maybe we could then deprecate GFP_KERNEL.
>
> What do you have in mind?

I have in mind a more explicit statement of how much waiting is
acceptable.

GFP_NOFAIL - wait indefinitely
GFP_KILLABLE - wait indefinitely unless fatal signal is pending.
GFP_RETRY - may retry but deadlock, though unlikely, is possible.  So
            don't wait indefinitely.  May abort more quickly if fatal
            signal is pending.
GFP_NO_RETRY - only try things once.  This may sleep, but will give up
            fairly quickly.  Either deadlock is a significant
            possibility, or alternate strategy is fairly cheap.
GFP_ATOMIC - don't sleep - same as current.

I don't see how "GFP_KERNEL" fits into that spectrum.  The definition of
"this will try really hard, but might fail and we can't really tell you
what circumstances it might fail in" isn't fun to work with.

Thanks,
NeilBrown