Re: file handle in statx (was: Re: How to cope with subvolumes and snapshots on muti-user systems?)

On Wed, 13 Dec 2023, Kent Overstreet wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 11, 2023 at 11:40:16PM +0000, David Howells wrote:
> > Kent Overstreet <kent.overstreet@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > > I was chatting a bit with David Howells on IRC about this, and floated
> > > adding the file handle to statx. It looks like there's enough space
> > > reserved to make this feasible - probably going with a fixed maximum
> > > size of 128-256 bits.
> >
> > We can always save the last bit to indicate extension space/extension record,
> > so we're not that strapped for space.
>
> So we'll need that if we want to round trip NFSv4 filehandles, they
> won't fit in existing struct statx (nfsv4 specs 128 bytes, statx has 96
> bytes reserved).
>
> Obvious question (Neal): do/will real world implementations ever come
> close to making use of this, or was this a "future proofing gone wild"
> thing?

I have no useful data.  I have seen lots of filehandles but I don't pay
much attention to their length.  Certainly some are longer than 32 bytes.

> Say we do decide we want to spec it that large: _can_ we extend struct
> statx? I'm wondering if the userspace side was thought through, I'm
> sure glibc people will have something to say.

The man page says:

     Therefore, do not simply set mask to UINT_MAX (all bits set), as
     one or more bits may, in the future, be used to specify an
     extension to the buffer.

I suspect the glibc people read that.

NeilBrown