Re: [Lsf-pc] [LSF/MM/BPF TOPIC] BoF for nfsd

On Sat, Apr 15, 2023 at 7:35 PM Chuck Lever III <chuck.lever@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > On Apr 12, 2023, at 2:26 PM, Chuck Lever III <chuck.lever@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > I'd like to request some time for those interested specifically
> > in NFSD to gather and discuss some topics. Not a network file
> > system free-for-all, but specifically for NFSD, because there
> > is a long list of potential topics:
> >
> >    • Progress on using iomap for NFSD READ/READ_PLUS (anna)
> >    • Replacing nfsd_splice_actor (all)
> >    • Transition from page arrays to bvecs (dhowells, hch)
> >    • tmpfs directory cookie stability (cel)
> >    • timestamp resolution and i_version (jlayton)
> >    • GSS Kerberos futures (dhowells)
> >    • NFS/NFSD CI (jlayton)
> >    • NFSD POSIX to NFSv4 ACL translation - writing down the rules (all)
> >
> > Some of these topics might be appealing to others not specifically
> > involved with NFSD development. If there's something that should
> > be moved to another track or session, please pipe up.
>
> It's been suggested that this is too many topics for a
> single session. Let me propose some ways of breaking it
> up.
>
> >    • Progress on using iomap for NFSD READ/READ_PLUS (anna)
> >    • Replacing nfsd_splice_actor
>

> This is probably worth its own session. We might want to
> include how to convert NFSD to use folios, or maybe that
> deserves its own conversation.
>
> >    • Transition from page arrays to bvecs (dhowells, hch)
>

> This is something we can take to the hallway or discuss
> over beers or a meal.
>
> >    • tmpfs directory cookie stability (cel)
>
> This could be a FS/MM session. Aside from directory
> cookies, there are issues about exporting any shmemfs-
> based filesystem (autofs is another).
>
> >    • timestamp resolution and i_version (jlayton)
>
> I'll let Jeff propose something here, and take this off
> the NFSD-specific agenda.

Please do.

> >    • GSS Kerberos futures (dhowells)
>
> Perhaps this topic also requires us to be drunk first.
> Seriously, though... it could be a pretty specialized
> conversation, and thus left for the hallway track.
>
> Or, David and I could fold this into the bvecs discussion
> above, as these two are somewhat related.
>
> >    • NFS/NFSD CI (jlayton)
>
> Network filesystems have special requirements for CI.
> Jeff has been working on shaping kdevops to work for
> our needs, and the work probably has broader appeal
> than only to NFS. This could be its own 30-minute session,
> or maybe we've got most everything worked out already?

Perhaps a guest speaker at Luis's kdevops session?

> >    • NFSD POSIX to NFSv4 ACL translation - writing down the rules (all)
>

> Could be its own session, but it might have only a
> handful of interested parties.

Apropos interested parties. If there are any NFS developers/maintainers
that are interested in attending the NFSD BoF virtually, please let me know
and I will send you a code for the virtual registration option.

Thanks,
Amir.