Re: [LSF/MM/BPF TOPIC] BoF for nfsd

> On Apr 12, 2023, at 2:26 PM, Chuck Lever III <chuck.lever@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> I'd like to request some time for those interested specifically
> in NFSD to gather and discuss some topics. Not a network file
> system free-for-all, but specifically for NFSD, because there
> is a long list of potential topics:
>
>    • Progress on using iomap for NFSD READ/READ_PLUS (anna)
>    • Replacing nfsd_splice_actor (all)
>    • Transition from page arrays to bvecs (dhowells, hch)
>    • tmpfs directory cookie stability (cel)
>    • timestamp resolution and i_version (jlayton)
>    • GSS Kerberos futures (dhowells)
>    • NFS/NFSD CI (jlayton)
>    • NFSD POSIX to NFSv4 ACL translation - writing down the rules (all)
>
> Some of these topics might be appealing to others not specifically
> involved with NFSD development. If there's something that should
> be moved to another track or session, please pipe up.

It's been suggested that this is too many topics for a
single session. Let me propose some ways of breaking it
up.

>    • Progress on using iomap for NFSD READ/READ_PLUS (anna)
>    • Replacing nfsd_splice_actor

This is probably worth its own session. We might want to
include how to convert NFSD to use folios, or maybe that
deserves its own conversation.

>    • Transition from page arrays to bvecs (dhowells, hch)

This is something we can take to the hallway or discuss
over beers or a meal.

>    • tmpfs directory cookie stability (cel)

This could be a FS/MM session. Aside from directory
cookies, there are issues about exporting any shmemfs-
based filesystem (autofs is another).

>    • timestamp resolution and i_version (jlayton)

I'll let Jeff propose something here, and take this off
the NFSD-specific agenda.

>    • GSS Kerberos futures (dhowells)

Perhaps this topic also requires us to be drunk first.
Seriously, though... it could be a pretty specialized
conversation, and thus left for the hallway track.

Or, David and I could fold this into the bvecs discussion
above, as these two are somewhat related.

>    • NFS/NFSD CI (jlayton)

Network filesystems have special requirements for CI.
Jeff has been working on shaping kdevops to work for
our needs, and the work probably has broader appeal
than only to NFS. This could be its own 30-minute session,
or maybe we've got most everything worked out already?

>    • NFSD POSIX to NFSv4 ACL translation - writing down the rules (all)

Could be its own session, but it might have only a
handful of interested parties.

--
Chuck Lever