Re: EXT vs XFS at 80% filled filesystem

On Wed, May 20, 2009 at 06:50:11AM -0400, Theodore Tso wrote:
> The debian packages ultimately end up building e2fsprogs three times,
> with different sets of configure options.  One is the standard build,
> one is for the restricted-size build for boot floppies (which arguably
> we don't need any more since we these days CD-ROM's have plenty of
> space, and Debian doesn't support boot floppies any more) and one is
> for the static build for e2fsck.static (although the utility of that
> one is somewhat dubious given that even the shell is with shared
> library, so if the filesystem is corrupted enough that shared libaries
> don't work, it's rescue CD-ROM time; the main use for e2fsck.static is
> for emergency use when someone running an older version of Debian
> needs a newer e2fsck to fix a filesystem corruption).

If you install sash, you really do get a statically linked shell:

$ ldd /bin/sash
ldd: exited with unknown exit code (126)
$ file /bin/sash
/bin/sash: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1 (SYSV), statically linked, for GNU/Linux 2.6.8, stripped

--
Matthew Wilcox				Intel Open Source Technology Centre
a retrograde step."