Re: [GIT PULL] Writeback fix

On Sat, Dec 10, 2022 at 7:36 AM Jens Axboe <axboe@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Just a single writeback fix from Jan, for sanity checking adding freed
> inodes to lists.

That's what the commit message says too, but that's not what the patch
actually *does*.

It also does that unexplained

+       if (inode->i_state & I_FREEING) {
+               list_del_init(&inode->i_io_list);
+               wb_io_lists_depopulated(wb);
+               return;
+       }

that is new.

And yes, it has a link: in the commit message. And yes, I followed the
link in case it had some background.

And dammit, it's ANOTHER of those stupid pointless and worthless links
that just links to the patch submission, and has NO ADDITIONAL
INFORMATION.

Those links are actively detrimental. Stop it. I just wasted time
hoping that there would be some information about why the patch was
sent to me this late in the game. Instead, I just wated time on it.

I pulled this and then unpulled it. I'm very very annoyed. This patch
has an actively misleading commit message, has no explanation for why
it's so critical that it needs to be sent, and has a useless link to
garbage.

Fix the damn explanation to actually match the change. Fix the damn
link to point to something *useful* like the error report or
something.

And STOP WASTING EVERYBODY'S TIME with these annoying links that I
keep hoping would explain something and give useful background to the
change and instead just are a source of constant disappointment.

         Linus