Re: [LSF/MM/BPF TOPIC] durability vs performance for flash devices (especially embedded!)

On Wed, Jun 09, 2021 at 11:05:22AM -0700, Bart Van Assche wrote:
> On 6/9/21 3:53 AM, Ric Wheeler wrote:
> > Consumer devices are pushed to use the highest capacity emmc class
> > devices, but they have horrible write durability.
> >
> > At the same time, we layer on top of these devices our normal stack -
> > device mapper and ext4 or f2fs are common configurations today - which
> > causes write amplification and can burn out storage even faster. I think
> > it would be useful to discuss how we can minimize the write
> > amplification when we need to run on these low end parts & see where the
> > stack needs updating.
> >
> > Great background paper which inspired me to spend time tormenting emmc
> > parts is:
> >
> > http://www.cs.unc.edu/~porter/pubs/hotos17-final29.pdf
>
> Without having read that paper, has zoned storage been considered? F2FS
> already supports zoned block devices. I'm not aware of a better solution
> to reduce write amplification for flash devices. Maybe I'm missing
> something?

maybe you should read the paper.

" Thiscomparison demonstrates that using F2FS, a flash-friendly file
sys-tem, does not mitigate the wear-out problem, except inasmuch asit
inadvertently rate limitsallI/O to the device"