Re: [patch] fs: improved handling of page and buffer IO errors

On Fri, Oct 24, 2008 at 09:48:04AM +1100, Dave Chinner wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 23, 2008 at 01:15:00PM +0200, Nick Piggin wrote:
> > On Thu, Oct 23, 2008 at 10:44:16AM +0100, steve@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> > > Hi,

> > > [snip]

> > > Don't we already have such a flag? I know that its not set in all
> > > the correct places in GFS2 so far, but I've gradually been fixing
> > > them to include BIO_RW_META where appropriate.
> >
> > That should probably work. It seems to be very incomplete (GFS2
> > being one of the few exceptions). Though adding more support in
> > ext2 and buffer layer should be enough for me to start with,
> > and shouldn't be too hard.

I have a patch for (most of) buffer and ext2 btw. Seems to work OK.

> I've posted patches to tag XFS metadata with BIO_RW_META in the
> past, but that patch set had performance implications for different I/O
> schedulers so it never went further than just a patch. If I

Hmm, yes CFQ does do something with meta requests. It's a pity you
can't just add the annotations and file bugs with CFQ if it hurts
performance :P

> leave all the BIO_RW_SYNC tagging for the metadata bios, then
> a single line change to add BIO_RW_META should not have any
> performance impact....

Sorry, I don't understand what you mean here.