Re: [patch] fs: improved handling of page and buffer IO errors

On Thu, Oct 23, 2008 at 10:07:15AM +1100, Dave Chinner wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 22, 2008 at 12:31:13PM +0200, Nick Piggin wrote:

> > > I think the first step to get these more robust in the future would be to
> > > have a standard regression test testing these paths.  Otherwise it'll
> > > bit-rot sooner or later again.
> >
> > The problem I've had with testing is that it's hard to trigger a specific
> > path for a given error, because write IO especially can be quite non
> > deterministic, and the filesystem or kernel may give up at various points.
> >
> > I agree, but I just don't know exactly how they can be turned into
> > standard tests. Some filesystems like XFS seem to completely shut down
> > quite easily on IO errors.
>
> XFS only shuts down on unrecoverable metadata I/O errors, and those
> I/Os do not go through the generic code paths at all (they go
> through the XFS buffer layer instead). Errors in data I/O will
> not trigger shutdowns at all - instead they get reported to the
> application doing the I/O...

Yes, but just for my testing of injecting random errors, it's hard to
get meaningful tests because of the shutdown problem. Not a criticism :)
Of the few fses I tested, XFS definitely seemed to be the best (at least
it detects and makes effort to handle failures somehow).

> > Others like ext2 can't really unwind from
> > a failure in a multi-block operation (eg. allocating a block to an
> > inode) if an error is detected, and it just gets ignored.
>
> It's these sorts of situations that XFS will trigger a shutdown.
>
> > I am testing, but mainly just random failure injections and seeing if
> > things go bug or go undetected etc.
>
> I'd start with just data I/O. e.g. preallocate a large file, then do
> reads and writes to it and inject errors into those I/Os. That
> should avoid all the problems of I/O errors on metadata I/O and the
> problems that generates. If you do synchronous I/O, then the errors
> should pop straight out to the test application as well. All
> filesystems should report the same errors with this sort of test.

Yeah, that's probably a good idea. That should still provide all or
nearly all coverage for the core VM.

> You could do the same thing for metadata read operations. e.g. build
> a large directory structure, then do read operations on it (readdir,
> stat, etc) and inject errors into each of those. All filesystems
> should return the (EIO) error to the application in this case.
>
> Those two cases should be pretty generic and deterministic - they
> both avoid the difficult problem of determining what the response
> to an I/O error during metadata modifcation should be....

Good suggestion.

I'll see what I can do. I'm using the fault injection stuff, which I
don't think can distinguish metadata, so I might just have to work
out a bio flag or something we can send down to the block layer to
distinguish.

Thanks,
Nick