Re: Same mountpoint restriction in FICLONE ioctls

> You did not specify your use case.

My use case is recording (https://rr-project.org/) executions
of containers (which often make heavy use of bind mounts on
the same file system, thus me running into this restriction).
In essence, at relevant read or mmap operations,
rr needs to checkpoint the file that was opened,
in case it later gets deleted or modified.
It always tries to FICLONE the file first,
before deciding heuristically whether to
instead create a copy (if it decides there is a low
likelihood the file will get changed - e.g. because
it's a system file - it may decide to take the chance and
not copy it at the risk of creating a broken recording).
That's often a decent trade-off, but of course it's not
100% perfect.

> The question is: do you *really* need cross mount clone?
> Can you use copy_file_range() instead?

Good question. copy_file_range doesn't quite work
for that initial clone, because we do want it to fail if
cloning doesn't work (so that we can apply the
heuristics). However, you make a good point that
the copy fallback should probably use copy_file_range.
At least that way, if it does decide to copy, the
performance will be better.

It would still be nice for FICLONE to ease this restriction,
since it reduces the chance of the heuristics getting
it wrong and preventing the copy, even if such
a copy would have been cheap.

> Across which filesystems mounts are you trying to clone?

This functionality was written with btrfs in mind, so that's
what I was testing with. The mounts themselves are just
different bindmounts into the same filesystem.

Keno