Same mountpoint restriction in FICLONE ioctls

Hello,

I was curious about the reasoning behind the
same-mountpoint restriction in the FICLONE
ioctl. I saw that in commit

[913b86e92] vfs: allow vfs_clone_file_range() across mount points

this check was moved from the vfs layer into
the ioctl itself, so it appears to be a policy restriction
rather than a technical limitation. I understand why
hardlinks are disallowed across mount point boundaries,
but it seems like that rationale would not apply to clones,
since modifying the clone would not affect the original
file. Is there some other reason that the ioctl enforces
this restriction?

Removing this restrictions would have some performance
advantages for us, but I figured there must be a good reason
why it's there that I just don't know about, so I figured I'd ask.

Thank you in advance for your insights,
Keno