Re: Initial patches for Incremental FS

On Fri, May 31, 2019 at 12:45 AM Yurii Zubrytskyi <zyy@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> We'd need to give the location of the hash tree instead of the
> individual hash here though - verification has to go all the way to
> the top and even check the signature there. And the same 5 GB file
> would have over 40 MB of hashes (32 bytes of SHA2 for each 4K block),
> so those have to be read from disk as well.

As I think Eugene mentioned, dealing with the hash tree should be done
by the verity subsystem anyway.

> Overall, let's just imagine a phone with 100 apps, 100MB each,
> installed this way. That ends up being ~10GB of data, so we'd need _at
> least_ 40 MB for the index and 80 MB for hashes *in kernel*.

Seriously?  Are those 100 apps accessing that 10G simultaneously?

I really don't know the usage pattern of those apps, but I can imagine
that some games do quite a lot of paging data in and out.   And my
guess is that most of those page-ins will still be sequential, and so
getting a pageful of index from userspace will allow the kernel to
serve quite a few reads without having to go back to userspace.

My guess is that even really tiny amount of caching (e.g. one page of
index per open file) will get 90% or more of the possible performance
improvement.  But those are all just guesses.  If you say this is not
the right direction for your project, fine.

Thanks,
Miklos