Re: [TOPIC] Extending the filesystem crash recovery guaranties contract

On Wed, May 08, 2019 at 11:31:00PM -0400, Theodore Ts'o wrote:
> On Thu, May 09, 2019 at 12:58:45PM +1000, Dave Chinner wrote:
> >
> > SOMC does not defining crash consistency rules - it defines change
> > dependecies and how ordering and atomicity impact the dependency
> > graph. How other people have interpreted that is out of my control.
>
> Fine; but it's a specific set of the crash consistency rules which I'm
> objecting to; it's not a promise that I think I want to make.  (And
> before you blindly sign on the bottom line, I'd suggest that you read
> it very carefully before deciding whether you want to agree to those
> consistency rules as something that XFS will have honor forever.  The
> way I read it, it's goes beyond what you've articulated as SOMC.)

I find myself (unusually) rooting for the status quo, where we /don't/
have a big SOMC rulebook that everyone has to follow, and instead we
just tell people that if they really want to know a filesystem they had
better try their workload with that fs + storage.  If they don't like
what they find, we have a reasonable amount of competition and niche
specialization amongst the many filesystems that they can try the
others, or if they're still unsatisfied, see if they can drive a
consensus.  Filesystems are like cars -- the basic interfaces are more
or less the same and they but the implementations can still differ.

(They also tend to crash, catch on fire, and leave a smear of
destruction in their wake.)

> > A new syscall with essentially the same user interface doesn't
> > guarantee that these implementation problems will be solved.
>
> Well, it makes it easier to send all of the requests to the file
> system in a single bundle.  I'd also argue that it's simpler and
> easier for an application to use a fsync2() interface as I sketched
> out than trying to use the whole AIO or io_uring machinery.

I *would* like to see a more concrete fsync2 proposal.  And while I'm
asking for ponies, whatever it is that came out of the DAX file flags
discussion too.

> > So it's essentially identical to the AIO_FSYNC interface, except
> > that it is synchronous.
>
> Pretty much, yes.

OH yeah, I forgot we wired that up finally.

> > Sheesh! Did LSFMM include a free lobotomy for participants, or
> > something?

"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me..."

Peace out, see you all on the 20th!

--D