Re: [TOPIC] Extending the filesystem crash recovery guaranties contract

Thank you for driving this discussion Amir. I'm glad ext4 and btrfs
developers want to provide these semantics.

If I'm understanding this correctly, the new semantics will be: any
data changes to files written with O_TMPFILE will be visible if the
associated metadata is also visible. Basically, there will be a
barrier between O_TMPFILE data and O_TMPFILE metadata.

The expectation is that applications will use this, and then rename
the O_TMPFILE file over the original file. Is this correct? If so, is
there also an implied barrier between O_TMPFILE metadata and the
rename?

Where does this land us on the discussion about documenting
file-system crash-recovery guarantees? Has that been deemed not
necessary?

Thanks,
Vijay Chidambaram
http://www.cs.utexas.edu/~vijay/