Re: [RFC]Introduce generalized hooks for getting and setting inode secctx v3

On Wed, 2008-03-19 at 08:11 -0700, Casey Schaufler wrote:
> --- Stephen Smalley <sds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > vfs_setxattr
> > ability
> > >
> > > Why is this important? I'm perfectly willing to believe that it is,
> > > but I would hesitate to say that it's completely obvious to the
> > > casual observer. After all, we've gotten by with things the way they
> > > are for some time. Perhaps you could describe the use to which you
> > > would be putting this. I expect that if I go through the backlog
> > > discussions on or about this topic I could probably make some
> > > logical assumptions about what you want to do, but it will save
> > > everyone some time if you could spell it out here.

> > particular
> > it's
> > >
> > > I still dislike having an interface that explicitly disallows
> > > security attribute integrity. That does not help me feel secure.
> >
> > Which part of our prior explanations of this functionality didn't you
> > understand?
>
> Oh, cut the crap. What part of my explainations don't you understand?
>
> I understand the functionality. That is not my point. My point is
> that inode_notifysecctx() explicitly prohibits the LSM from providing
> integrity of the security attributes by introducing a differentiation
> between the "in-core" and "on-disk" values, and making it explicit
> that the one is set, but not the other.
>
> Clearly this is the direction you intend to go. Have fun with it.
> I've raised the issue, y'all aren't seeing it. Maybe I'm wrong,
> it has happened before.

It is absolutely no different than the way that uids and other inode
attributes are handled; NFS client has to update the incore inode state
based on the server's information and that is not the same as setting it
in the backing filesystem.  I've only said that two or three times.

> > http://marc.info/?l=linux-fsdevel&m=120515271614741&w=2
> >
> > I would agree though that the final patch submission ought to include
> > some of that prior explanation in its patch description for historical
> > purposes.
>
> Yes indeed.
>
> Thank you.
>

> Casey Schaufler