Re: [git pull] new mount API

On Fri, Aug 24, 2018 at 10:56 AM, Miklos Szeredi <miklos@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 24, 2018 at 10:38 AM, Miklos Szeredi <miklos@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>> It's also not clear that an API that you think is "cleaner" would
>>> actually be more usable.  In fact, I believe it's going to be a sh*t
>>> show for userspace, because it won't be obvious what will work, and
>>> what will cause an error of the form, "sorry we can't do this cleaner
>>> thing that some people think is better".  Which means a huge amount of
>>> special casing in the program, or a lot of very surprising failures
>>> that will then get exposed to the system administrator, many of whom
>>> haven't really had much of a problem with the existing mount(8) user
>>> interface.
>>
>> In what way is the kernel better suited to read the mind of the poor
>> sysadmin, than a userspace helper program?
>
> I have a concrete example:  mount -oloop.  You can leave it to
> mount(8) to automagically find an existing loop device or setup a new
> one, or you can do the low level thing and set up your own loop device
> and mount it.  Same story as NFS and friends, except it's not the
> kernel that does the magic "same source -> same sb" policy but the
> mount(8) utility.  Ever notice the difference?  See?   And yeah, there
> are races involved, and userspace is perfectly suited to deal with
> them.

And to continue from that thought, a namespace for filesystem
instances could, for example, live under /dev/fs/$FSTYPE/$INSTANCE

Naming the $INSTANCE could be done by the one creating that instance,
or in case of legacy mounts could have a fixed prefix + sequence
number, or something similar.

All this could come later, let's just not exclude the possibility of
using the new API in this way.

Thanks,
Miklos