Re: [git pull] new mount API

On Thu, Aug 23, 2018 at 8:13 PM, Al Viro <viro@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 23, 2018 at 07:36:15PM -0700, Andy Lutomirski wrote:
>
>> > For fuck sake, mount(2) is a permanently supported option!
>>
>> Exactly. mount(2) has broken semantics and it’s permanently supported.
>>
>> If this merge request gets pulled, then FSCONFIG_CMD_CREATE will *also* be a permanently supported API with broken semantics.
>
> Oh no - mount(2) behaviour can be expressed that way!  The horror...
>
> Andy, this is bullshit.  You are saying that dealing with mount(2)
> mess of ABI (badly unorthogonal set of operations, overloading from
> hell, etc.) must be tied with massive rework of fs drivers.  Why?

When this was reviewed earlier, a problem was identified.  I asked if
it had been addressed.  I did *not* say that it was mandatory to
address it, nor did I say anything about reworking fs drivers.

A reasonable answer might have been "avoiding this pitfall in the new
API would involve a large amount of reworking of existing filesystem
drivers.  I think that the new API, as is, has enough benefits that it
makes sense to merge it even with this pitfall, and, if needed, we can
introduce an improved version down the road."

I had at least hoped for a better answer than "bugger it."

--Andy