Re: [Lsf-pc] [LSF/MM TOPIC] fs-verity: file system-level integrity protection

On Sun, Jan 28, 2018 at 04:49:25PM -0500, Theodore Ts'o wrote:
> Speaking as a kernel developer, it makes a more sense to keep things
> in the kernel,

That should have read, "keep as little as possible in the kernel".
Apologies for the bad proofreading.

Ultimately, I think the issue is fundamentally philosophical.  IMA was
designed with a very strong point of view, and assumes that its
requirements set was the only thing the that it needed to support.
Worse, it seems designed to that you can't easily reporpose for it for
different requirements; part of this is because a lot of the policy is
in the kernel, opposed to be in userspace.  I understand why that's
tempting from as security perspective (even if it does make the attack
surface much larger).

The bottom line is that I don't think fs-verity should be stretched
over the procrustrean bed of IMA.  And I am *not* asking that IMA
change; because of userspace backwards compatibility requirements, I
recognize that *that* ship has already sailed.  So ultimately,
designing something new which is minimal, and which could be *used* by
IMA, but which does not *require* IMA may be the best way to move
forward from here.

						- Ted

 and do as much in userspace as possible --- and if that