Re: [Lsf-pc] [LSF/MM TOPIC] fs-verity: file system-level integrity protection

On Fri, Jan 26, 2018 at 08:44:27AM -0800, James Bottomley wrote:
> On Fri, 2018-01-26 at 09:58 -0500, Theodore Ts'o wrote:
> > Docker save was going to have to be altered to use IMA, anyway.
>
> Actually, no, that's not entirely true[1].  Docker save produces a tar
> file.  Once the tar on your platform picks up xattrs, docker save just
> works for container images with IMA hashes and signatures (and selinux
> labels, which was actually the driver for the change).  The point at
> which the ecosystem changed to "just work" was the point at which tar
> understood xattrs.  That's why I was poking on how do we get tar to
> understand this format, following on the way IMA and selinux did it.
>  There may be another way of getting this change into the ecosystem,
> but ecosystem adoption has to be part of the considerations for this.

Oh, I see.  You are saying that you want to be able to use tar to
backup integrity protected files, and then restore them later.

Yes, that's different from what I was assuming, which is a model where
the integrity protect file would be written by some package manager
(e.g,. rpm, dpkg, the code that downloads the apk, etc.), and that we
would *not* be trying to backup the file with the integrity data, and
then restore it later via some kind of untar operation.

The problem here is that a merkle tree simply won't fit inside an
xattr for any non-trivail file.  And there may be use cases where
blocking the open until the integrity is verifeid on the entire file.
However, there are uses cases where the a signifcant increase in the
open latency can't be tolerated, and wher the file might have might
have large portions of dat which will never be read, and thus, don't
need to have their integrity verified.  (Example: an APK might have
megabytes and megabytes of translation resources for N languages, only
one of which will normally be used by a particular user on a
particular phone.  Or as another example, an ELF binary that has huge
portions of symbol table and debugging information that is normally
not used.)

So the requirement that you must be able to backup an integrity
protected file, and then restore it again, without modifying the tool
which does the backup and restore, does certainly push you towards
using xattrs.  But xattrs force the huge open latency, and while
Docker is big in some circles, there are lots of use cases where the
unmodified backup/restore requiremnt is simply not applicable.

So perhaps there is room for both solutions.

Cheers,

						- Ted