Re: [LSF/MM TOPIC] Network filesystem cache management system call

David Howells <dhowells@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> AFS filesystem implementations like OpenAFS have a number of management calls
> usually implemented through the pioctl() and afs() system calls.  However,
> there is general revulsion to the idea of allowing these in Linux as they are
> very much abused.
>
> Now, I need to come up with replacements for these.  For some I can use
> getxattr()/setxattr(), for some keyrings and for others procfs/sysfs, but for
> some I can't.
>
> One of these is the call to manage local caching on a file or volume.  This,
> however, doesn't really need to be limited to AFS, but could also be
> applicable to NFS, CIFS, etc. - and possibly even to local filesystems.
>
> A brainstorming session on this would be useful.

Another thing that I would like to work out is how to do mountpoint management
commands for kAFS.  This includes doing the following operations:

 (*) Creating a mountpoint.

 (*) Deleting a mountpoint

 (*) Reading a mountpoint.

 (*) Invalidating cached mountpoint information.

The problem here is that mountpoints are automatically mounted when you touch
them unless you specify the AT_NO_AUTOMOUNT flag - and even then, that's
ignored if the mountpoint is already mounted upon.

I could do this by saying that you have to open the parent directory of the
mountpoint and do an ioctl() on it, but would it be better to have one or more
syscalls for this purpose?

Further, would this be of use to any other filesystems?

David