[LSF/MM TOPIC] Network filesystem cache management system call

AFS filesystem implementations like OpenAFS have a number of management calls
usually implemented through the pioctl() and afs() system calls.  However,
there is general revulsion to the idea of allowing these in Linux as they are
very much abused.

Now, I need to come up with replacements for these.  For some I can use
getxattr()/setxattr(), for some keyrings and for others procfs/sysfs, but for
some I can't.

One of these is the call to manage local caching on a file or volume.  This,
however, doesn't really need to be limited to AFS, but could also be
applicable to NFS, CIFS, etc. - and possibly even to local filesystems.

A brainstorming session on this would be useful.

David