Re: Simulating disk failure with a writeback cache

On Mon, Dec 19, 2016 at 04:00:40PM -0500, Josef Bacik wrote:
> Ok that works fine in the short term for you, but ideally you wouldn't have
> to fix the test every time you wanted to run it on bcachefs.  Do you have a
> suggestion of how to make this generic enough to support you as well without
> dd'ing the whole drive?  Thanks,

Yes, but it'd be a lot of work :)

Change log-writes so that instead of replaying the log, you have it create a
block device representing that specific point in the log - and then service read
requests by looking them up however you like. So, it'd be just like mounting
snapshots.

It might not be too difficult since we can deal with crappy performance or
memory usage here, but I don't know if it's really worth the effort.