Re: [fuse-devel] Difference between invalidating and deleting dentry

On Oct 19 2016, Amir Goldstein <amir73il@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 19, 2016 at 4:51 AM, Nikolaus Rath <Nikolaus@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> *ping*
>>
>> Really no one able to clarify the difference between the FUSE invalidate
>> and delete dentry requests?
>
> It may sound strange to you, but I think the documentation is clear
> enough.  The difference is that in delete case, you *know* that the
> entry has been deleted and in invalidate case, you may not know what
> happened to the entry.  The specific use cases are implementation
> specific, but maybe you lost contact with remote server or maybe the
> remote protocol imposes a timeout for validity or maybe you do not
> have enough information to figure out if the entry has been deleted
> and re-created.  Invalidate simply means that you no longer know that
> the entry is valid.

This would make sense if delete would cache the negative lookup, but
based on what you said earlier this is not the case.

So what is the practical difference between the two functions? Or,
putting it differently, what are the consequences of sending a delete
when the entry still exists, or an invalidate when it has been deleted?

Best,
-Nikolaus