Re: [fuse-devel] Difference between invalidating and deleting dentry

On Wed, Oct 19, 2016 at 4:51 AM, Nikolaus Rath <Nikolaus@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> *ping*
>
> Really no one able to clarify the difference between the FUSE invalidate
> and delete dentry requests?

It may sound strange to you, but I think the documentation is clear enough.
The difference is that in delete case, you *know* that the entry has
been deleted
and in invalidate case, you may not know what happened to the entry.
The specific use cases are implementation specific, but maybe you lost
contact with remote server or maybe the remote protocol imposes a timeout
for validity or maybe you do not have enough information
to figure out if the entry has been deleted and re-created.
Invalidate simply means that you no longer know that the entry is valid.