Re: Discussion about flash SSD during OLS2007

On Mon, 25 June 2007 19:40:02 +0900, Dongjun Shin wrote:

> I'm working on the Linux optimization for the flash SSD (Solid State Disk),
> which is becoming more practical nowadays (it's not a pipe dream any more :)
>
> During my work, I've found that Linux does not perform so well on SSD.
> The most important issue, I suspect, is the behavior of the Linux
> filesystems
> which are heavily optimized for HDD. Although there are specific filesystems
> optimized for flash storage (ex. jffs2, logfs), I think they do not
> scale so well
> for the larger one like SSD which is of tens or hundreds of GB in size.

JFFS2 surely doesn't scale very well.  LogFS should.  If it doesn't, I
would love to see some numbers.

> I'd like to share my experience of using SSD under Linux and to discuss
> how filesystem can do better.
>
> The OLS2007 would be a good chance for the discussion. However,
> there are already three BOFs for the filesystem topic (ext4, chunkfs and
> nilfs)
> I'm not sure if my topic is of interest to the existing BOF or if it
> is necessary
> to add another.
>
> I'd like to ask if there are people who are interested in discussing
> this topic at OLS.

I'm certainly interested, but didn't plan to go to OLS.  Had I known
about this three month ago... :)

Linuxconf.eu would be the next alternative.  I was thinking about doing
a btrfs/logfs BOF there and your topic would fit in fairly well.  Any
chances you can attend?

Jörn

--
To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we
are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic