Re: Possible bug in ext3 filesystem

On Thu, 2007-01-04 at 12:34 +0100, Jens Nie wrote:
> Hello List.
>
> I think i found a bug in the ext3 filesystem. It deals with
> dereferencing symlinks. I have installed a fresh openSUSE 10.2 on an
> ext3 filesystem.
> After that i wanted to include some selfmade LaTeX-classes by creating
> a symlink within /usr/share/texmf/tex/latex to the directory
> containing the class. texhash lists the new link within
> /usr/share/texmf/ls-R. However the complete content of the classes
> directory is missing. File and directory permissions are OK. I suspect
> that the dereferencing of symlinks to the target directory does not
> work on ext3. To check that i tested an older SuSE Installation with
> reiserfs, which works as expected. Another test i made was creating an
> ext3 fs, xfs and reiserfs on a loopback device. Within this test
> filesystem that i mounted temporarily to /mnt i created a symlink to
> /usr. Issuing the command ls -LRa, which is exactly what texhash is
> using and should dereference the link to /usr did not recursively list
> the contents of /usr on the ext3 filesystem whereas it did on the
> reiserfs and xfs.

I did a little playing around with strace and I suspect that it may have
something to do with ext3 returning DT_LNK to the filldir routine (which
gets returned through getdents64).  A lot of file systems always return
DT_UNKNOWN.  Maybe ls is handling the DT_UNKNOWN case alright, but not
the DT_LNK case.  (When DT_UNKNOWN is returned, ls calls stat64() which
would identify the symlink as a directory rather than a symlink.)

--
David Kleikamp
IBM Linux Technology Center

-