Possible bug in ext3 filesystem

Hello List.

I think i found a bug in the ext3 filesystem. It deals with
dereferencing symlinks. I have installed a fresh openSUSE 10.2 on an
ext3 filesystem.
After that i wanted to include some selfmade LaTeX-classes by creating
a symlink within /usr/share/texmf/tex/latex to the directory
containing the class. texhash lists the new link within
/usr/share/texmf/ls-R. However the complete content of the classes
directory is missing. File and directory permissions are OK. I suspect
that the dereferencing of symlinks to the target directory does not
work on ext3. To check that i tested an older SuSE Installation with
reiserfs, which works as expected. Another test i made was creating an
ext3 fs, xfs and reiserfs on a loopback device. Within this test
filesystem that i mounted temporarily to /mnt i created a symlink to
/usr. Issuing the command ls -LRa, which is exactly what texhash is
using and should dereference the link to /usr did not recursively list
the contents of /usr on the ext3 filesystem whereas it did on the
reiserfs and xfs.

The test system was a dual opteron (x86_64) as well as a mobile Athlon
(i386) system running openSUSE 10.2.

I reported this on the opensuse mailing list first. Someone there was
kind enough to point me directly to this list.

Some more information which might be useful for people not being
directly familiar with opensuse:

- kernel 2.6.18.2 possibly with typical SuSE changes (SuSE release is
2.6.18.2-34-default)
- e2fsprogs 1.39
- coreutils 6.4

Any ideas? Can anyone confirm that this is a bug? Any solutions?

Best Regards

Jens

Jens Nie
Physics