Re: Re: NFSv4/pNFS possible POSIX I/O API standards

On 12/5/06, Rob Ross <rross@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I unfortunately don't have data to show exactly where the time was
spent, but it's a good guess that it is all the network traffic in the
open() case.

Is it hard to repeat the test and check what requests (and how much
time do they take) PVFS server receives?

Well you've caught me. I don't want to cache the values, because I
fundamentally believe that sharing state between clients and servers is
braindead (to use Christoph's phrase) in systems of this scale
(thousands to tens of thousands of clients). So I don't want locks, so I
can't keep the cache consistent, ...

Having file handles in the server looks like a cache to me :) What are
the properties of a cache that it lacks?

Thanks,
   Lucho
-