NFSv4/pNFS possible POSIX I/O API standards

NFS developers, a group of people from the High End Computing Interagency Working Group File Systems and I/O (HECIWG FSIO), which is a funding oversight group for file systems and storage government funded research, has formed a project to extend the POSIX I/O API. The extensions have mostly to do with distributed computing/cluster computing/high end computing
extensions.

Things like
openg() - on process opens a file and gets a key that is passed to lots of processes which
use the key to get a handle (great for thousands of processes opening a file)
readx/writex - scattergather readwrite - more appropriate and complete than the real time extended read/write statlite() - asking for stat info without requiring completely accurate info like dates and sizes. This is good for running stat against a file that is open by hundreds of processes which currently forces callbacks
and the hundreds of processes to flush.

Some of these things might be useful for pNFS and NFSv4.

etc.

In talking to Andy Adamson, we realized that NFS ACL's are a good candidate for POSIX standardization.
There may be other items that might be good for standardization as well.

The HECIWG FSIO POSIX team has already gotten the wheels rolling and has gotten agreement to do the standardization effort within the OpenGroup. We have an official project in the platform group in the OpenGroup and will publish man pages for review and possible standardization
as an extension to POSIX.
The website is at
http://www.opengroup.org/platform/hecewg/

There are man pages for most of the proposed extensions at that site. We will be putting more
out there in a few weeks.

We in the HECIWG would welcome putting forth any NFS related calls/utilities in our POSIX
extension effort.
We would need someone to work with in the NFS community to give us the man pages
and point at example implementations.
We would be happy to do the legwork of getting the documents done and the like.

I also would be happy to add any of you to the POSIX HEC Extensions mailing list etc.
if you want to monitor this effort.

Andy and I felt that since we have the official POSIX Extensions project spun up, getting a few things from the NFSv4/pNFS community into the POSIX Standard would be nice way to get leverage.

I am very interested in your thoughts.
Thanks
Gary Grider
Los Alamos National Lab