Re: Re: NFSv4/pNFS possible POSIX I/O API standards

On Tue, Dec 05, 2006 at 05:47:16PM +0100, Latchesar Ionkov wrote:
> I think that the main problem is that all these file systems resove a
> path name, one directory at a time bringing the server to its knees by
> the huge amount of requests. I would like to see what the performance
> is if you a) cache the last few hundred lookups on the server side,
> and b) modify VFS and the file systems to support multi-name lookups.
> Just assume for a moment that there is no any way to get these new
> operations in (which is probaly going to be true anyway :). What other
> solutions can you think of? :)

How exactly would you want a multi-name lookup to work?  Are you saying
that open("/usr/share/misc/pci.ids") should ask the server "Find usr, if
you find it, find share, if you find it, find misc, if you find it, find
pci.ids"?  That would be potentially very wasteful; consider mount
points, symlinks and other such effects on the namespace.  You could ask
the server to do a lot of work which you then discard ... and that's not
efficient.
-