Re: NFSv4/pNFS possible POSIX I/O API standards

Andreas Dilger wrote:
statlite() - asking for stat info without requiring completely accurate info like dates and sizes. This is good for running stat against a file that is open by hundreds of processes which currently forces callbacks
and the hundreds of processes to flush.

This is a big win for clustered filesystems.  Some "stat" items are
a lot more work to gather than others, and if an application (e.g.
"ls --color" which is default on all distros) doesn't need anything
except the file mode to print "*" and color an executable green it
is a waste to gather the remaining ones.
Some of the described calls look very exciting and, based on our current customer issues, we have needs for them today rather than tomorrow. This "statlite()" is definitely one of them as we have been plagued by "ls" performance for a while. I'm wondering whether there are implementation efforts to push this into LKML soon ?

-- Wendy

-