File System Address Space Operations

Hello All,

I want to find out the details of the address space
operations. Where can I get the detailed information
about the address space operations. In addition I want
to find out whether these address space operations are
for performance reasons or are mandatory to implement.
For example consider the case that we can avoid
implementing file operations' readv and writev
functions because these are for performance reasons
and instead could implement only simple read and write
functions of file operations.

In addition do distributed file systems on the client
and server side require to implement address space
operations e.g. nfs (client side) implements these
address space operations.

Thanks,
Uzair Lakhani,
Karachi, Pakistan.